Learn to create this awesome vector cowboy western desert illustration scene in Adobe Illustrator!
Learn to build a color scheme with Adobe Color, build a scene from a pencil sketch, create distressed and organic edges, fill a scene with color, and so much more in this Illustrator tutorial.
Download the sketch to follow this tutorial here.
Tags: adobe illustrator,adobe illustrator cc,graphic design,design tutorial,illustrator tutorials,illustrator tutorial,tutorial,characters,cartoon,adobe illustrator tutorial,illustrator cc tutorial,how to design,illustrator cc,how to,graphic design tutorials,graphic designer,graphic design tutorial,vector illustration,illustration,AI,tutvid,nathaniel dodson
- Create new doc 2560×1440
- Drag in the sketch and size appropriately
- Show trick to stretch the sketch wider to fit the scene but only use that stretched sketch for the desert scene and save a non-stretched copy for the main character
- Set sketch layer to Multiply
- Find a stock photo of desert and bring it into Adobe Color and show how to get a color scheme and save it.
- Screenshot it if you don’t like using Creative Cloud libraries
- Add the theme to the swatches in Illustrator
- Add a layer for the artwork below the sketch and mask to the artboard
- Use ellipse tool and create ground hills
- Use Pen tool to create the ledge area where cowboy will stand
- Use Pencil to create craggy rocks and hills
- Use Pen tool to create smooth cacti
- Drop in the sky and create the sun
- Use the Arc tool and the variable width tool to create grass and spend time duplicating, flipping, resizing and playing with all the grass to get it in position
- Create a couple birds in the sky
- Check on the colors and lay down the base colors by using Recolor artwork
- Copy over rough outline of the cowboy. Point out how I outlined his head and hat apart from his body
- Draw his cape and adjust as needed
- Flip the head so he’s looking the other way
- Draw in a rough lasso and put it in his hand
- Group all pieces of him together and add a mask to the layer
- Draw cutting black shapes with the pencil tool into the mask to roughen the edges of him a little.
- Use the Wrinkle tool set to 100×100 at 20% power with 50% H and V wrinkling and 1 complexity and 6 detail to detail up the cacti and ground edges
- Change to 40% power with 90% horizontal wrinkle and texture the edges of the cliffs and ground cowboy stands on and the ridges in the piece, too.
Leave a Reply