Support our sponsor, Skillshare! The first 500 people to click the link will get 2 months of Skillshare for free https://skl.sh/tutvid4
Learn the basics of the Pen Tool to create a simple Spiderman illustration in this detailed Adobe Illustrator tutorial!
We’ll learn how anchor points work, what tangent handles are, why the Pen Tool is so frustrating when you just try to draw with it, how to adjust fills and strokes for your lines and shapes, how to use the Curvature Pen Tool, the Shaper Tool, and a bunch more to create this cool Spiderman style head.
Tags: pen tool illustrator, pen tool, adobe illustrator, illustrator, pen tool tutorial, illustrator tutorial, illustrator pen tool tutorial, graphic design, illustrator pen tool, adobe illustrator tutorial, how to use the pen tool, logo design, design tutorial, how to design, tutorial pen tool, illustrator beginner tutorial, design, vector, how to use illustrator pen tool, illustration, vector graphics, how to design a logo in illustrator, logo design illustrator, AI
Tutorial Recording Notes:
Disclaimer: these are the actual notes I used to record this video and are written in a language you may or may not understand. Hopefully, you find them useful or cool.
- The Pen tool creates paths.
- Paths can be filled shapes or stroked lines
- Anchor points are the control points of your path
- Trace the head, shoulders, and eyes
- Flip + duplicate the one eye and adjust
- Show the shaper tool and combine/cut shapes
- Create the center grommet between the eyes with the ellipse tool
- Use the Pen tool to create the vertical spider lines
- Group the lines and duplicate
- Convert these to a set of guides
- Use the Curvature tool to create the horizontal web bits
- Use the Shaper to cut away the unneeded things
- Expand the group and fill the base shapes with red and copy outline stroke above the spider webs and stroke BLACK
- Play with the black/dark gray around eyes and a stroke for that, too.
- Add a Freeform gradient to the face and play with where the red colors live